Last night, after some intense games of Pictionary at the church (I was on the winning team every time, by the way), my friends and I found ourselves with some free time. "What should be do?" we asked ourselves. In true boredom fashion, we soon we found ourselves wandering at the local grocery store looking for inspiration. Then it hit us.
It was time to try the shark. Yep, the rotten Icelandic shark.
When I was researching Icelandic-y things during the almost 6 months I waited for my immigration paperwork to go through, Hákarl almost gave me enough reason to inform my host family I would not be coming. What sort of place catches a toxic shark, buries it in the ground for 6-12 weeks, hangs it out to dry for a few months, and then EATS it? Come on, Iceland, so many WTFs going on there.
But, when in Rome, right? I had seen it at the store and flea market over the last month, but I couldn't bring myself to eat it just yet... I needed the sweet melody of peer pressure in my ear.
Squishy and fishy and unpleasant to eat in the way dog food is probably also unpleasant to eat, but the smell! The smell is what really gets you. It's the sort of near-tangible stench that drenches your hair and skin and violates your senses for hours. My Icelandic friends, however, ate it right up with joy.
Thankfully we had enough foresight to purchase some other Icelandic foods, but in the sweeter and more palatable variety. So, I also tried a cute little traditional chocolate Easter egg (the normal ones are much, much bigger) and a especially yummy holiday drink. Anyone who knows me knows I love a good delicious beverage, and this is one of the most delicious I've ever had. It's a Malt with Appelsin, which is akin to an orange soda O'Douls. I like neither orange soda nor O'Douls, but if you put it together and make it Icelandic, it's simply lovely.



You are so cute. Watching the video made me miss you :)Sorry the shark was stank, happy you are having such adventures!
ReplyDelete